The King’s Head
NEWPORT HISTORY SOCIETY INNS AND BEER HOUSES WALKING TOUR
The King’s Head; previously The Bull Inn (1681 – c1800) and The Bakers Arms (briefly in 1820s)
Chetwynd End, Newport TF10 7JJ
The King’s Head and The Pheasant Inn are the oldest surviving inns of Newport. This inn was originally known as ‘The Bull’ in 1681-2 and that was when John Savage left the inn to Robert & Elizabeth Savage in his will. The most important feature of the building is that fact that the core is medieval. This is represented by a cruck or ‘A’ frame.
It was described as having a ‘house, chamber, brewing room and drinking room’. By 1714, the Taylor family owned the property. They also owned the meadow at the back, which was always part of the property. Whilst the inn was known as ‘The Baker’s Arms’ briefly in the 1820s, by1828-39, the inn was definitely called ‘The Kings Head’. Many other trades were associated with the inn: timber was sold from the inn in 1859 and horses were put to stud. In the field at the back there were dances and football matches( the ‘Early Closers’ team.)
At the front are late 18th/early 19th century brick buildings, A previous carriageway and stable extension is visible at the north end of the building in a 1932 photo.
The entrance to the present inn is via a lobby into the front bar, where there is hatch, which was the old off license hatch.
In the rear, the snooker room, which is part of the original cruck-framed building.
By 1892 the inn was tied with the Lichfield Brewery and they were able to supply a kilderkin (18 gallons) of ‘table ale’ for 13 shillings (65p). In 1898 it was bought by a Newport brewery and ater became a Marstons’ pub. It is now part of the Admiralty Taverns group.
To the North of the site, in the early 20th century, was the ‘Aero’ garage run by the Agates family. The brothers also operated a taxi service and sold motor bikes.
Researched by Newport & District History Society
Funded by Newport and District History Society, Newport Town Council and BTW Pride in your High St funds.